BannerFans.com

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sirsasana...Headstand, that is!

"Sirsasana" (pronounced Shirsh-asana) is the Sanskrit name of the yoga asana (or pose) known as "Headstand." In Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga it is generally done in the closing series of asanas, and it's regarded as one of the most challenging poses for yogis...and I did it!

I have generally had to stick with the less-challenging sarvangasana (shoulderstand), however my new yoga teacher is AMAZING at describing how you should feel in a pose. I was hovering in dolphin pose when he explained that to invert, all you need to do is press into your shoulders and contract your abdominal muscles. I did as instructed, and my legs literally floated off the floor behind me. It was amazing!

Here's where I was (shoulderstand...not me in the pic though)



Here's where I am now (also not me)



Sometimes I think I should post my own yoga pics, but at the same time, I feel like that's just asking for trouble...

On another entirely less zen note, my building was evacuated at 1:30am yesterday. I suppose it wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been watching Reba and waiting for a commercial break to use il bagno...if you know what I mean. I wound up outside in my pajamas, doing the proverbial pee-pee dance in front of every single resident in my building. There was no fire, though (I know, shocking!). It was apparently just a burst pipe, which set off the fire alarm every ten minutes for three hours thereafter. Then every time the alarm went off, the firemen felt compelled to announce through the speaker system that there was *still* no fire...like-a-no-duh!
All I have to say is, good thing I don't work until 11:30am, because when S got up at 6:50am, he was right delirious...poor guy!

3 comments:

redMAN said...

hahaha thats friggen awesome alana. I got my blog finished... just gotta put it up :)! lovelove

redMAN said...

ps... doin't pose for yoga... ever.

Alanna said...

I can't wait to see it, buddy!