BannerFans.com

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Pumpkin Pie for Breakfast?

Yes, I did have pumpkin pie for breakfast, and I didn't gain an ounce. Since venturing into the world of fitness, (almost eight years ago) I have developed quite a repertoire of protein shake recipes. They always start the same way, but I add something different each day to satisfy whatever I am craving that morning. There are some I go back to regularly (peanut butter and chocolate, pumpkin pie, and mixed berry and banana namely) and some I'll never do again...

Today I would like to share with you my basic smoothie recipe, and my Pumpkin Pie smoothie recipe. Don't be put off by how they look, the TASTE is what's important.

Basic recipe:

3/4 cup water
4-5 Ice cubes
1/4 cup 0% balkan-style yogurt (I use Astro)
2 tbsp rolled oats
1 tbsp flax seed (fresh ground)
3 tsp Greens Plus powder
1 tsp cinammon (it's in nearly everything I eat, honestly!)
1 scoop protein powder of choice (I LOVE Whey Gourmet...it's soooo delish!)
*Add 1/2 cup of whatever frozen fruit you like...I always buy extra bananas, then peel them, slice them, and flash freeze them on a cookie sheet in the freezer...then I throw them in a Ziploc and they're ready to go! I also love to add 2 tsp of natural peanut butter...sooooo delicious

Blend all ingredients for approximately two minutes on the maximum speed of your blender.

To make the Pumpkin Pie smoothie, omit the oatmeal from the original recipe, and add

1/2 small, cooked and pureed sweet potato
1 pinch cloves
1 tiny pinch nutmeg
*Be sure the protein powder is vanilla here!

Mix it up and enjoy!

p.s. Every smoothie that I make comes out a light green colour because of the Greens Plus. If you'd prefer not to have the tinge (or the health benefits associated with Greens Plus:) then simply omit it.

Breakfast of Champions!



Enjoy!

No comments: