BannerFans.com

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Finally, The Nutcracker has Arrived!



I LOVE ballet. It's one of the most beautiful forms of artistic expression. The levels of skill and strength required to perform well are astronomical, and even more impressive considering this skill and strength comes from impishly-thin women often suffering from some form of malnourishment or osteoporosis. But I digress...I am TOO excited that my favourite show has returned to the National Ballet, and I am not missing it this year. Thus far I have missed Gisele and Sleeping Beauty...I think I have watched MORE than enough hockey to finally warrant a trip to the ballet. Enough said.

I have been in love with Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker score since my very early childhood. I love to listen to it while I wrap presents, get my Christmas baking and cleaning done, or while I complete any Christmas-related task. My parents, of course, noticed my love for the music and thus took me to see the show at the age of eight. I was mesmerized by the opulence of the set, and the grace of the ballerinas. That experience has stayed with me, vividly for many years...and now it's time to go back. I watch it on television nearly every year, but it's NOT the same...







As a member of DanceBreak (it's an information source for the National Ballet School and it's free to join) you are entitled to day-of $25 tickets...if you're under 30. I am certain that this offer does not extend to tickets for The Nutcracker, but here is the link for DanceBreak in case you are interested in other shows (hint: Swan Lake...You can never have too mcuh Tchaikovsky!)

No comments: