BannerFans.com

Saturday, December 5, 2009

My Favourite Things

Yipee! It's snowing today!!!
I have to say that winter is one of my favourite seasons. It's cold, yes, but it offers so many more opportunities for introspection and a slower pace of life than summer or spring. Before you write me off as certifiable, allow me to explain myself...

There is nothing better than cozying up by the fire with a good book on a blizzardy afternoon with some hot apple cider...

Photo courtesy of adrenalinecrush

I love the satisfying "crunch" of fresh, untrodden snow underfoot. This is best experienced during an invigorating winter walk at Balls Falls, or really anywhere in my Niagara hometown, where you can experience winter beauty in its purest form...

This is a picture of the lower falls at Balls Falls Conservation Area. Every year they freeze in place...it looks absolutely breathtaking!
Photo courtesy of Parente Photo Arts

I love the exhilarating feeling of whipping down the face of a steep hill piled high with snow drifts on a plastic disk. I love seeing rosy cheeks partially hidden behind thick, wooly scarves and feeling the icy winter air going into my lungs like mint, and coming out like smoke. Tobogganing is a must-do winter activity for me...even at 26...


Photo courtesy of Ferntree

There is something about the comforting foods of winter that warms through to the soul. I adore all the foods of winter, the soups, the stews, the roasted root vegetables...Not to mention the winter beverages...Hot Toddy with Apple Cider, anyone?
Photo courtesy of The Garden of Eating

Shopping can be a little trying admittedly, over the winter season. The crowds of rushed, rude people and the dreaded parking lots can leave even the most dedicated shopper turned off...But the prettily decorated shop windows make it VERY easy to do a little window shopping!




Photos courtesy of The Cherry Blossom Girl


So don't be afraid of a little chill in the air! Grab your sweetie or your best friend and take a winter stroll together. Do some exploring...Who knows what sort of beauty you'll encounter?


Photo Courtesy of Wino Fred

1 comment:

Art Wall Katie said...

I have always hated it, but I am trying hard to embrace it this year for a lot of the reasons you listed. I think it's working.