BannerFans.com

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fish Babies...

As promised, I am posting some pictures of the babies that my crazy little Spotted Molly had last week. I noticed she was becoming quite plump, but I thought I was just over-feeding her. Of course it crossed my mind that she MAY, potentially be pregnant...but, fish lay eggs right? Wrong. Not these fish. Apparently Spotted Mollies breed like rabbits, and have live births to boot...but unlike rabbits, they usually eat their young...or do rabbits do this too?

There were probably thirty little babies, and they are tiny and transparent. It doesn't appear that their mother has successfully eaten very many of them either, because they tend to hide in among the pebbles on the bottom of the tank with the catfish, who would rather eat scum than them (smart, right?)

The proud mama...Her girlish figure has returned to her.


Babies...






I honestly have no idea what I am going to do with all these fish...we only have a ten gallon tank, which can hold 5-6 Mollies comfortably. Anyone want a fish?

No comments: