BannerFans.com

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My Favourite Christmas Cookie Recipes

I have rounded up the recipes I seem to make over and over again at Christmas for friends and family. Some of the recipes lend themselves well to freezing, which is a bonus because that means you can get started on them right away...You're only going to get busier! They also lend themselves well to my handmade pledge...and they're all delicious!

Slice and Bake Cookies from The Smitten Kitchen

She's got several options for add-ins, which make this recipe a versatile choice. The recipe can be frozen in logs, and sliced when unexpected company pops in over the holidays. I like to keep a batch in my freezer, just in case.

Snickerdoodles from Bakerella

These cinnamon-rolled cookies are crispy and they melt in your mouth. Apparently they are a pretty popular cookie in the states, although I'd never hear of them until a few years ago. I can see why though...these go down really easy with a glass of milk!

Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies from Martha Stewart

These cookies are made with fresh ginger, which makes the flavour really pop. It also keeps the cookies moist and chewy. They don't have the "crunch" of the original, but they're far superior in my opinion! The ginger tends to be "stringy" if you just grate it, so I suggest pulsing in a few times in a small food processor or chopper (yet another use for your Slap-Chop!).

Chocolate Chip Cookies from Anna Olsen

DO NOT relegate these cookies only to Christmas. They are the most delicious version I have ever tried, and I do a lot of baking. They are quick to whip up, but they don't last...so make them closer to your event or you risk having only crumbs to serve.

Holiday Biscotti from Giada Di Laurentiis

I make these year after year, and they are always in high demand. I have also substituted the same amount of chopped dried cherries for the cranberries, and the same amount of roasted almonds for the pistachios, I used orange zest instead of lemon and I added 2 tsp of vanilla. After baking, I dipped the cooled biscotti in chocolate (bottoms only), and my family went nuts. They're truly delish.

Chocolate Macaroons from DLTK

This is a childhood favourite. It's a no-bake recipe, and it takes seconds to whip up. This is similar to the actual recipe that I use, which is my mama's...so you know it'll be good.

Mini Cherry-Pecan Streusel Loaves by Martha Stewart

I give these loaves as gifts and as stocking stuffers. It makes a great addition to the breakfast buffet on Christmas morning, or as an accompaniment to your coffee on boxing day.

I am planning on giving the loaves in these rustic wooden loaf pans:

which you can purchase through King Arthur Flour. They'd look perfect wrapped in a vintage tea towel or linen napkin and some kitchen twine.

I am too excited to get my hands into some baking! Hurry up, December!

No comments: